Did you see the article in the Washington Post about the study that was done at Harvard showing that red meat is possibly linked to breast cancer. It's my mammographer duty to show you why eating animal products/flesh is no bueno for your lady lumps.
"Yummmm, more carcinogens please." Said no one ever. Don't take my word for it, take the Harvard researchers'. Read the article here. Moving on, guess what? It's time for our mandatory, weekly consumption of legumes! Are you as excited as me? Because you should be...
MMmmmmmm...plants. Especially, this veggie salad. Oh yum. You guys, I could eat this all week long.
This salad couldn't be easier to throw together. Halving all the cherry tomatoes isn't the quickest thing ever, but you can do that plate trick with them. You know, where you place a plate on top of a bunch of them and run a knife through? Have you done that? I have not. It seems like a lot of work...nope, I'll just take the 45 minutes it takes to slice them all individually. I'm pretty sure I would slice my hand off if I tried the plate trick. I cannot be trusted. Besides, slicing them all is kind of therapeutic. You know what I mean.
So make this dish and get some free therapy at the same time. It's great all on it's on, as a sort of dip with chips, or even in a pita! Fresh and vibrant with creamy avocado, sweet corn, tart cherry tomatoes, black beans, and cilantro all in a tangy lemon dressing, it's an excellent dish to bring to a gathering! Share with your friends and family and let them see how awesome and wholesome vegan food can be. Enjoy!
Summer Corn, Avocado & Black Bean Salad
By Kathleen Henry - Produce On Parade
This salad is great all on it's on, as a sort of dip with chips, or even in a pita! Fresh and vibrant with creamy avocado, sweet corn, tart cherry tomatoes, black beans, and cilantro all in a tangy lemon dressing, it's an excellent dish to bring to a gathering! Share with your friends and family and let them see how awesome and wholesome vegan food can be.
- 1 15 oz. can of sweet corn (it’s better than frozen, trust me)
- 40 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (use the stems too!)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lemon (or 2 limes), juiced
- 1-2 tsp. ground cumin, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Prep all the veggies and cilantro and add them to a large serving bowl. Toss well to combine.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the oil through the black pepper and pour over the veggie mixture. Toss gently to coat evenly and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Store in the fridge and serve alone, with chips, or in a pita!
Yield: Serves a crowd
I buy my ground cumin here.
It’s only $0.69 per ounce vs $3.60 per ounce at our local grocery store, Fred Meyer!
More Salads and Sides
German Word of The Day
Gathering --> Zusammenkunft (pronounced: sue-summonkunft)
Good Deed of The Day
Today, make a conscious effort to not be negative towards yourself. Like, duh right? But no! It seriously takes some work not to throw little jabs at yourself! There are enough people in the word that can be cruel to you...don't let yourself be one of them. Love yourself!